People's Prep Charter School
Newark, New Jersey
Field of Interest
Job Description: Accounting Manager
The Accounting Manager at People’s Prep collaborates closely with the School Business Administrator throughout the year to ensure that all financial operations are conducted in compliance with state, governmental and tax code rules and requirements, with an objective of achieving a successful annual audit. The Accounting Manager works consistently and creatively to meet the needs of all students, and serves as a model for all People’s Prep students by bringing to life our core values of Intellect, Empathy and Action.
Qualifications and Certifications
- B.S. in Accounting or a related business field
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience. Experience in public school accounting and financial reporting and/or auditing preferred
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of financial accounting and reporting procedures consistent with statute, code and GAAP requirements
- Experience with accounts payable, general and fixed assets accounting, and related business functions
- Demonstrate knowledge of budget preparation, insurance, purchasing, and financial planning
- Strong computer skills. Technological proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Access, and other financial management and human resources software
- Experience managing, tracking and analyzing data
- Firm commitment to and belief in People’s Prep’s mission
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in communicating with diverse audiences
- Demonstrated ability to multitask effectively and prioritize strategically
- Openness to feedback and willingness to take personal responsibility
- Team orientation
- Flexibility under pressure and adaptable to change in a dynamic organization
- Team with School Business Administrator and Operations staff to implement effective internal controls over all processes that affect the school’s financial statements and various state and federal reporting.
- Support execution of a comprehensive program of financial policies, procedures and controls.
- Provide bookkeeping services using financial software applications. Ensure accounting and financial reporting systems of the district are accurate and consistent with GAAP.
- Prepare purchase orders and related documentation for review by the School Business Administrator.
- Assist School Business Administrator in collaborating with local districts to ensure that all revenues are received and accounted for appropriately.
- Collaborate with school leadership to maintain and manage department budgets/expenditures and act as a liaison to teachers, staff members and students to ensure teachers and students have necessary resources for instruction and extracurricular activities.
- Prepare, in conjunction with the School Business Administrator, the day-to-day accounting processes of the school, including general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, cash receipts and disbursements, payroll, benefits and taxes.
- Establish relationships with vendors and maintain organized files to support all cash disbursements.
- Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and any additional applicable standards.
- Support School Business Administrator in creation and review of financial materials and reports for monthly board meetings.
- Attend trainings and make necessary efforts to stay well-informed of recent changes in New Jersey and federal regulations, OMB financial publications, and updates in financial principals, best practices and procedures in accounting and auditing to improve district financial processes and procedures.
- Teach and enforce the school-wide, clearly defined systems, structures, and rules.
- Work collaboratively and participate actively at faculty meetings and in professional learning teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned by School Leaders.
- Complete administrative tasks in a timely manner.
At People’s Preparatory Charter School, the core values of Intellect, Empathy, and Action drive our mission. We’re committed to ensuring that all students achieve academic excellence, develop strong character, and build a commitment to community advancement. We believe that all People’s Prep students will be successful at the college of their choice and in life. We’re dynamic, thoughtful, supportive, and innovative, and we know that a good sense of humor goes a long way. Sound like a good fit? Then learn about our Application Process, below.
Candidates wishing to apply for a position should visit www.peoplesprepnewark.org for more information.
February 18, 2014