Grand Canyon Trust
Field of Interest
The Grand Canyon Trust was established in 1985 as a regional conservation organization whose mission is to protect and restore the Colorado Plateau – its spectacular landscapes, flowing rivers, clean air, diversity of plants and animals and areas of beauty and solitude. The Trust is based in Flagstaff, Arizona with offices in Moab, Utah, and Denver and Durango, Colorado. For more information on the Trust, visit www.grandcanyontrust.org.
Overview of Position:
The Communications Manager teams with program staff to produce and deploy traditional and social media for a variety of target audiences, including local, regional, and national media as well as Trust donors, volunteers, and activists. S/he also works constructively with administrative, membership, and development staff to improve communications and enhance the Trust’s marketing and brand.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for coordinating the Trust’s evolving communications program. S/he will manage contracts with consultants and other outside vendors related to communications, such as our website developer. This position does not currently include supervisory responsibilities; however, there is potential for the right candidate to expand the communications program to include additional staff.
This position is based in Flagstaff, Arizona, and is open until filled. We anticipate the first round of interviews occurring in mid-July 2014.
The Communications Manager reports to the Conservation Director and is a member of the Stewardship and Engagement team. S/he works in close collaboration with other team leads within the Trust.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field and/or minimum three years’ experience in a communications role.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team setting and be accountable to others.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including strong ability to edit and proofread others’ writing. Communications include (but are not limited to) press releases, bi-annual magazine, regular e-newsletters, blog posts, action alerts, etc.
- Experience with online and social media marketing and engagement strategies.
- Must live in or relocate to Flagstaff, Arizona.
- Experience in non-profit communications, especially related to politically- sensitive policy and/or advocacy efforts.
- Familiarity and/or experience with environmental issues.
- Experience working within a team-based organizational structure.
- Experience using a constituent relations management system, preferably Salesforce.
- Experience editing a website using a content management system, preferably Drupal.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. We provide generous vacation, holiday and sick leave, individual health insurance, disability and retirement benefits.
Please send a cover letter, resume, 1-2 page writing sample geared to an external audience (e.g. press release, action alert, newsletter article, etc.) and three references via e-mail to:
Darcy Allen, Senior Director of Administration
Grand Canyon Trust
2601 N. Fort Valley Road
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
No phone calls please
For a full job description please visit www.grandcanyontrust.org/jobs.php
June 25, 2014