People's Prep Charter School
Newark, New Jersey
Field of Interest
People’s Preparatory Charter School
Job Description: Development Officer
People’s Prep is an organization that continues to experience exciting growth. As a new addition to our staff, the Development Officer will work closely with the School Leader, Director of College Placement, Director of Finance and Operations and the Board to create, implement, oversee and evaluate funding streams, and strategies including state and federal grants. S/he will be responsible for developing long-term strategic fundraising plans and for working to develop a multi-year comprehensive campaign while managing the current non-public funding stream. The Development Officer will be a writer, a cultivator of relationships, a data tracker and an essential component of our long-term sustainable growth plans. The DO will report directly to the School Leader.
Qualifications and Certifications
- B.A. or B.S. in related field or equivalent related work experience required.
- At least 3 years of grants and fundraising experience including individual solicitation.
- Proven track record fundraising in urban schools, organizations or related non-profits.
- Knowledge of existent funding sources or networks from which to solicit funds or initiate relationships.
- Experience managing and tracking data.
- Firm commitment to and belief in People’s Prep’s mission.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in communicating with diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask effectively and prioritize strategically.
- Openness to feedback and willingness to take personal responsibility.
- Willingness to travel if necessary.
- Experience working with Boards.
- Strong computer skills.
- Team orientation.
- Flexibility under pressure and adaptable to change in a dynamic organization.
- Team with School Leaders and Directors to develop annual and multi-year strategy for fundraising.
- Collaborate closely with related Board subcommittees.
- Manage and cultivate a portfolio of donors.
- Support the School Leader, Director of College Placement and the Director of Finance and Operations in their stewardship of existing and potential funders.
- Continue to develop professionally to identify new opportunities for funding and to stay abreast of trends in giving.
- Teach and enforce the school-wide, clearly defined systems, structures, and rules.
- Work collaboratively and participate actively at faculty meetings and in professional learning teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the School Leader or Directors.
- Complete administrative tasks in a timely manner.
At People’s Preparatory Charter School, the core values of Intellect, Empathy, and Action drive our mission. We’re committed to ensuring that all students achieve academic excellence, develop strong character, and build a commitment to community advancement. We believe that all People’s Prep students will be successful at the college of their choice and in life. We’re dynamic, thoughtful, supportive, and innovative, and we know that a good sense of humor goes a long way. Sound like a good fit? Then learn about our Application Process, below.
Candidates wishing to apply for a position should visit www.peoplesprepnewark.org for more information.
February 13, 2014