Schoodic Institute at Acadia National Park
Winter Harbor, Maine
Field of Interest
Schoodic Institute at Acadia National Park, Director of Advancement & Donor Relations
About Schoodic Institute: Schoodic Institute at Acadia National Park is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization with a mission to guide present and future generations to greater understanding and respect for nature by providing research and learning opportunities through its outstanding Acadia National Park setting, unique coastal Maine facilities, and innovative partnership programs.
The Institute is increasingly an intellectual and economic magnet with great potential to contribute to the Acadia region. Schoodic Institute is based within Acadia National Park in a bold physical and inspirational location at Schoodic Point. The Institute partners with the National Park Service to manage the Schoodic Education and Research Center and supports science and education initiatives throughout the Park and the region. The Institute expands the traditional role of a national park as a vacation destination into a regional and community catalyst for ecosystem research, conservation training, and education.
Scientists, educators, and citizen scientists of all ages collaborate on the ambitious vision of a better understanding of the biodiversity and resources of all of Acadia National Park and its environs and of investigating national and global environmental issues. A major component of the Institute’s educational efforts is providing opportunities for youth to learn about and be inspired by the out-of-doors. A host of academic and institutional partners cooperate closely with the Institute. Natural resource managers at Acadia National Park rely on the research to restore Acadia’s ecosystems and improve their resiliency in the face of challenging environmental changes. Much benefit is already being brought to the Park and the local economy by Schoodic Institute, with greater impact anticipated in the future. A signature feature of Schoodic Institute is the linking of its research community to powerful educational experiences and to opportunities to reach millions of Park visitors each year.
Primary Responsibility: Provide strategic leadership for advancement and donor relations by Schoodic Institute, while working closely with the President as a key member of the management team. Support and facilitate the work of the Advancement Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Continue to implement a comprehensive donor relations and advancement program
- Plan and support donor cultivation activities
- Participate in selected donor solicitation meetings
- Coordinate a program of private foundation grant solicitations, including grant writing and reporting
- Plan and contribute to organization and oversight of advancement events
- With financial management staff, track, analyze, and report on fundraising efforts
- Contribute to communication and marketing efforts by Schoodic Institute
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 5 years nonprofit fundraising experience.
- Demonstrated success with annual giving & major gift programs, corporate & foundation support, and planned giving.
- Strong interest in Schoodic Institute’s mission.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated abilities in managing projects and leading small teams and committees.
- Skill with computer technologies and software including Word/Excel, and shared calendar suites (Google).
- Familiarity with managing website content, social media, and email newsletter applications.
- Proficiency maintaining, analyzing, and utilizing donor databases a plus.
Hours: Full time. Requires occasional weekend or evening work.
Compensation: Competitive salary dependent on experience. Benefits include vacation and health insurance and an outstanding work environment.
To Apply: Please send resume & cover letter as a .pdf attachment to: email@example.com using “Director of Advancement” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Schoodic Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
July 10, 2014