Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Field of Interest
The LSU Foundation, in conjunction with the LSU College of Agriculture and the LSU Agricultural Center, is seeking a Director of Development to secure financial support for agriculture’s teaching, research, and extension missions. This position reports to the Vice President for Agriculture (VPA) and works in conjunction with the LSU Foundation’s Vice President of Development within the strategic development environment of the LSU Foundation.
The College of Agriculture has nine academic departments, all of which are jointly funded with the LSU Agricultural Center. The AgCenter has two additional departments, 16 branch research stations, and 64 parish extension offices. Agriculture’s reach extends into all 64 parishes of Louisiana and reaches a broad range of clientele including over 250,000 youth and their families involved in the 4-H program. The new structure presents an exciting opportunity for agriculture and for the successful Director of Development candidate, especially given the existence of a collaborative and innovative environment with an extensive network in the private and public sectors. The ideal candidate will:
- Develop, implement, and manage the overall strategic vision for development in agriculture.
- Maintain a portfolio of major and principal gift prospects and ensure that the Vice President is engaged with high-level donors, prospective donors, corporate and clientele leaders, and volunteers.
- Work closely with leaders in the College of Agriculture (COA), the LSU Agricultural Center (LSUAC), and the Chancellor’s Advisory Council to advance the development function.
- Work closely with staff of the LSU Foundation, including Corporate and Foundation Relations, and utilize the expertise available through the Foundation.
- Work with administrators, faculty and staff to track and plan the identification of, cultivation of and contact with donor prospects.
- Provide guidance and coordination on all philanthropic endeavors.
- Provide leadership to other development professionals working under the umbrella of the Vice President for Agriculture.
- Recruit and engage volunteers, clientele, alumni and friends on special projects and collaborative partnerships.
- Oversee the preparation of selected grants and grant proposals (non-federal) and ensure proper execution and delivery.
- Assist with the management and record-keeping of Foundation fundraising, including campaign planning and financial reporting.
- Assist in the communication and coordination of activities with fundraising agencies internally and externally.
- Attend events or meetings as needed.
- Perform other fundraising duties as assigned.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of three years of major gift fundraising experience
- Related administrative/management experience
- Experience working in an agricultural or university environment
- The ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Attentiveness to detail
- Sensitivity to the needs of diverse constituencies
- A team player with a goal-oriented approach to work
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- The ability to represent the organization in a professional, positive manner
Yvette B. Marsh, Director of Talent Management
3838 West Lakeshore Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
An offer of employment is contingent upon a satisfactory pre-employment background check. The LSU Foundation is an equal opportunity/equal access employer.
February 12, 2014