University of Wisconsin Foundation
Field of Interest
Note – when submitting application materials, cover letter and resume must be combined into a single attachment
The Director of Development will have primary responsibility for the planning, management, and implementation of a comprehensive healthcare philanthropy program in support of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH), with particular focus on the Department of Medicine.
The Department of Medicine advances the health of the people of Wisconsin and beyond through high quality, patient-centered care; innovative research; and the education of the next generation of physicians. At the core of the Department of Medicine’s mission is the health of patients. Care is provided by faculty physicians in the School of Medicine and Public Health which lend clinical activities the expertise of those at the cutting edge of each discipline. Prevention is emphasized in extensive primary care activities complemented by a full range of state-of-the-art services provided by specialists in twelve clinical areas (Allergy and Immunology; Pulmonary and Critical Care; Cardiovascular Medicine; Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism; Gastroenterology and Hepatology; General Internal Medicine; Geriatrics and Gerontology; Hematology and Oncology; Hospital Medicine; Infectious Disease; Nephrology; and Rheumatology.)
The Department of Medicine is also committed to innovative education and training programs that prepare future health care providers. From medical education to post graduate study, from continuing medical education to allied health professional education, the Department of Medicine’s programs enjoy an excellent reputation. The Department’s residency program has been recognized as an ACGME Education Innovation Project site and its fellowship programs draw from a pool of top applicants and cover a full spectrum of specialized clinical and research training. Educational and training opportunities are enhanced by clinical rotations at both UW Health facilities and the William S. Middleton Memorial VA Medical Center.
The Department of Medicine is also known for its strong research environment. Substantial extramural funding provides support for a wide range of activity including basic, translational, clinical, and population studies. Research is integrated into both clinical and educational mission, and departmental scholarly effort is combined with that of colleagues from throughout the School of Medicine and Public Health and from other schools across campus. Examples of these combined efforts include the federally funded Institute for Clinical and Translational Research, the Carbone Cancer Center, the Cardiovascular Center, and the Institute on Aging.
Philanthropy is the key to enabling the Department’s remarkable providers to make more discoveries which can be translated to the bedside, improving clinical care. The successful candidate for this position will provide strategic leadership and management of development initiatives directed to the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of top prospects and donors. The successful candidate will be strong in spirit and a forward thinking, dynamic, energetic, and innovative team player who can engage department leadership and faculty members and develop an internal and external environment for philanthropy through consistent messaging and communication for the Department of Medicine.
The SMPH is expanding its Grateful Patient Program and looks to the Department of Medicine as a key player in that growth. The successful candidate will possess the requisite compassion to work with people at difficult times in their lives.
The Director of Development will work in collaborative effort to accomplish the following objectives:
- To work directly with the Department chair, division heads, vice-chairs and administrators to identify department priorities and design and implement strategic plans for a comprehensive development, physician referral, and the Grateful Patient Program.
- To identify, cultivate, solicit, and manage a portfolio of top prospects and donors in order to secure major gifts in support of identified department, division, and program development initiatives.
- To work with the department chair, vice chairs, division heads, administrators, faculty, and physicians to strengthen and expand physician referral and grateful patient programs in efforts to increase philanthropic gifts.
- To facilitate a shift to an organizational culture that is actively engaged in the development process and views it as essential to department success.
- To develop and implement a robust development program for alumni giving that is centered around an alumni organization.
- To develop novel systems of fundraising that implement new technology, social media, etc.
- To develop and maintain effective and consistent internal and external communications.
- To develop effective prospect identification tools to link potential donors with department programs and needs.
- To develop and initiate strategies to enhance donor stewardship.
- To partner with marketing and public affairs staff to develop materials for increasing awareness of departmental initiatives as destinations for philanthropic support.
- To work collaboratively with the department, marketing and public affairs to assist in coordination of development events and activities.
- A high level of professionalism is required of all UW Department of Medicine faculty and staff. Professionalism is demonstrated by altruism, accountability, fairness, and treating everyone with kindness, respect and dignity.
Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is Friday, July 25th.
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit program. This position can also be hired at the Senior Director of Development level depending on experience.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume in one document to: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=10005861
Wisconsin Foundation & Alumni Association
The University of Wisconsin Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
July 11, 2014