Harlem Village Academies
New York, New York
Field of Interest
POSITION: Vice President of Development
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
LOCATION: Harlem, New York City
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Harlem Village Academies is widely recognized as a national leader in public education reform. Its growing network of high quality public charter schools is transforming the lives of children in Harlem by providing them with an excellent education. Led by a team of passionate social entrepreneurs, Harlem Village Academies (HVA) has achieved national prominence as one of the highest performing urban schools in the country. HVA sets high standards for academic performance and personal conduct; intervenes with love and rigor when a child is off-track; and engenders in students a passion for learning, a spirit of community and dedication to excellence.
The results have been extraordinary. Many students enter the academies several years below grade-level. Yet, after a few years with HVA they make significant strides. HVA is the #1 ranked non-selective high school in New York City in college enrollment, with more than 97% of graduates enrolling in college.
After ten years of developing a proven, replicable education model, Harlem Village Academies aspires to build a graduate school of education that will prepare inspiring, effective teachers committed to urban education. Through the Progressive Education Institute, our plan is to create a new approach to teacher preparation.
In addition to its remarkable, consistent track record of educational excellence, HVA has an exceptionally committed Board of Directors and an extraordinary group of supporters including some of the country's most prominent and influential leaders in business, finance, real estate and media. HVA is regularly featured in New York and national media and serves as a model for schools across the United States.
ABOUT THE POSITION
After ten years of success, HVA is poised to make a national impact. To help fuel growth, HVA seeks an experienced, energetic development professional to expand and manage its fundraising efforts. The Vice President of Development will be responsible for generating donor revenue, developing and managing external relationships, and leading the fundraising team. This is an ideal opportunity for an innovative, entrepreneurial and driven leader to play a central role in growing a premier education reform organization. In this newly-created role, the successful candidate will work closely with the CEO, COO and Board of Directors, as well as with our talented development team.
Strategy Development and Fundraising
- Increase revenue across diversified sources, including corporate, foundation, and individual donors
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising plan that will allow HVA to meet or exceed its development goal of raising approximately $50M over five years from a range of individuals, corporations and foundations
- Grow and manage HVA's special events
- Proactively develop and maintain relationships with current and potential donors
- Develop, guide and lead implementation plans for donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, and press and media relations efforts
- Work closely with members of the Board of Directors to maximize opportunities for fund/ resource development and external relationships by cultivating new prospects and managing existing donors
- Provide support and guidance to the CEO, and Board of Directors as needed
The ideal candidate will be a highly intelligent, driven individual with a passion for public education and a track record of success in meeting fundraising goals. The candidate will have a warm character, exceptional integrity and a sophisticated knowledge of the New York City philanthropic and/or business community. He or she will be polished and professional with a high level of comfort interfacing with a Board of Directors, CEOs, corporate executives and high net worth individuals. The ideal candidate will be a genuinely kind and caring individual who thrives in an entrepreneurial culture. In addition, s/he will have the following qualities and skills:
- Demonstrated success in developing and stewarding high-level relationships
- Self-motivated, resourceful and detail and deadline-oriented
- Highly organized with the ability to manage, follow through and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to communicate to various constituencies and work effectively with a variety of staff at all levels within the organization
- Proactive, entrepreneurial style with the ability to take initiative, recognize opportunities and develop and implement focused plans for executing on those opportunities
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and being held accountable for meeting ambitious targets
- Committed team player, with willingness to be hands-on and do whatever it takes to support the success of HVA
HVA is full of kind, generous people who are focused on results. We are willing to put in the hard work necessary to meet our ambitious goals. We are all committed to the mission of Harlem Village Academies, and act in our students' best interest at all times. The ideal candidate thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and is able to adapt quickly to change.
Harlem Village Academies is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Dr. Deborah Kenny, Founder and CEO
Jonathan Gray, Chairman
John Legend, Vice Chairman
Edward Lewis, Chairman Emeritus
Charles Bronfman, Emeritus
Michael A. Karsch
Thomas L. Kempner, Jr.
Suna Said Maslin
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by sending your resume and a thoughtful cover letter to Diego Merino, Recruitment Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include "VP of Development" in the subject line.
September 2, 2014