Verizon Wireless, HopeLine gave $1,500 to Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh by collecting used cell phones.
- February 23, 2011
Owens Corning Foundation giving $1 million to Charities Aid Foundation America.
Daniels Fund, Denver, awarded $10.7 million in grants to nonprofits, including groups serving serving youth, seniors, the disabled, and homeless.
Cargill and its 48,000 North American employees contributed $13 million to United Way, $600,000 more than last year.
- February 17, 2011Wells Fargo & Company invested record-high $219 million in 19,000 nonprofits in 2010, up 9 percent from 2009, and Wells Fargo team members contributed over $55.3 million and 1.3 million volunteer hours to 25,000 nonprofits and schools.
Society for Neuroscience awarded $1.53 million over six years from The Kavli Foundation and The Gatsby Charitable Foundation to create and maintain BrainFacts.org, nonprofit online source for authoritative public information about the progress and promise of brain research.
Caterpillar completed $1 million corporate-giving challenge for Opportunity International to help alleviate global poverty through savings-based microfinance programs, and has made new pledge to match additional $1 million in new business and corporate donations in 2011.
- February 15, 2011Lincy Foundation, founded by Kirk Kerkorian, transferring all its assets, valued at roughly $200 million, as well as its charitable programs in progress, to Dream Fund, University of California at Los Angeles, community-based fund devoted to support of medical research and academic programs at UCLA, as well as support of wide range of charitable projects throughout U.S.
The Greater Boston Food Bank completed $35 million capital campaign to build new Yawkey Distribution Center in Boston's Newmarket Business District.
Since 2006, The NASCAR Foundation has awarded $11.5 million in charitable donations.
- February 11, 2011Kaiser Permanente funded over 780 grants throughout U.S. totaling roughly $54 million in fourth quarter 2010.
Prudential Foundation giving total of $4.2 million in multi-year grants to six nonprofits dedicated to improving lives and living conditions of people in neighborhoods in U.S., Mexico and Brazil.
Rite Aid raised $4.9 million in 2010 for Children's Miracle Network hospitals.
- February 9, 2011Unum donated over $6.7 million in 2010, up three percent from previous year, and employees gave additional $2.7 million.
Children's Hospital Central California received a $5 million gift from The Lincy Foundation, founded Kirk Kerkorian, hospital's largest single gift ever.
Dwight Burlingame, associate executive director and director of academic programs, Center on Philanthropy, Indiana University, and Audrey Burlingame created Dwight and Audrey Burlingame Doctoral Fellowship in Philanthropic Studies for students at the Center through endowment gift of $100,000.
- February 8, 2011Howard Hughes Medical Institute launching $60 million documentary film initiative to bring science features to television.
UPS awarded grants totaling $7 million to over 80 nonprofits whose mission is to support diverse populations; grants will fund programs that develop leadership skills, promote education and encourage inclusion of all individuals.
Beyond Jobs, new Goodwill program in Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles County, Detroit and New York City funded with $2.5 million grant from Walmart Foundatio, aims to provide single mothers with tools to find employment, succeed in workplace and permanently support their families.
John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation renewed support of American Documentary | POV with grant of $1.5 million over next three years.
- February 4, 2011
John S. and James L. Knight Foundation giving four-year, $4.2 million grant to Medill School of Journalism and Robert R. McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, both at Northwestern University, to create Knight News Innovation Laboratory, first of its kind in U.S., with goal of developing digital tools used by journalists and community news and information providers.
TD Bank employees contributed total of $1.2 million and TD Charitable Foundation contributed $1 million to over 100 local United Ways from Maine to Florida.
National Christian Foundation reported contributions grew 65 percent in 2010 to $607 million, and grants to charities grew 20 percent to over $392 million, for record-high year; contributions since group's inception in 1982 total $4 billion mark.
- February 2, 2011Sodexo Foundation, charitable arm of Sodexo Inc., formed three-year partnership with Share Our Strength and Youth Service America and made commitment to provide $20 million in grants and in-kind donations to fighting childhood hunger.
Ameriprise Financial and its employees and financial advisors pledged $5.5 million to nonprofits organizations through the company's annual giving campaign, with contributions to be distributed throughout 2011.
Norfolk Southern Foundation, charitable arm of Norfolk Southern Corporation, awarded nearly $5.6 million in grants in 2010 to charities.
- January 31, 2011The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, received $6.5 million gift from Barry R. Lipman, a co-founder, law firm Goldfarb Lipman, to establish Lipman Family Prize, to be awarded annual to recognize and amplify work of an organization devoted to positive social impact and creation of sustainable solutions to significant social and economic challenges.
Children's Hospital Boston getting $7 million gift from New Balance Foundation to establish New Balance Foundation Center for Childhood Obesity Prevention, Clinical Research and Care.
Chase announced making total of $25 million in grants to community development financial institutions serving hard-to-reach communities.
Healthcare Georgia Foundation awarded total of over $1 million to 15 health-related organizations and programs benefiting Georgians.
Michigan nonprofits received $5 million in contributions in 2010 from Consumers Energy, its employees, retirees, philanthropic arm and parent company, CMS Energy.
- January 26, 2011Columbia University received $10 million gift from Richard Paul and Ellen S. Richman Private Family Foundation to establish Richard Paul Richman Center for Business, Law, and Public Policy, interdisciplinary academic center to be jointly administered by Columbia Business School and Columbia Law School.
Allstate Foundation contributed over $17.8 million in 2010 to develop and implement programs for thousands of individuals and families facing personal challenges and uncertainties.
Joyce Foundation, through annual Joyce Awards, has provided over $1.6 million since 2003 in grants for artists of color in major Midwestern cities.
Pacific Life Foundation making $2.75 million in grants to nearly 200 nonprofits serving Southern California, part of $5.5 million in charitable funding foundation has committed to provide in 2011.
- January 25, 2011Center for Jewish History, New York City, raised $30 million in capital campaign.
MasterCard Foundation and Equity Group Foundation announced $50 million partnership to provide secondary-education scholarships and leadership development to 5,600 students in Kenya.
Verizon Foundation, philanthropic arm of Verizon, awarded nearly $67 million in 2010 to nonprofits throughout U.S., mainly to groups that support education, domestic violence prevention and Internet safety; since 2005, Verizon Foundation has awarded over $411 million to support nonprofits.
Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company Foundation launching two-year, $3 million school health partnership with Save the Children aimed at improving health and nutrition of over 273,000 school-age children in disadvantaged communities in China, Kenya, the Philippines, Tajikistan, Vietnam and Indonesia.
- January 21, 2011Ford Foundation launching JustFilms, five-year, $50 million initiative to help find and support a new generation of filmmakers whose works address urgent social issues.
WellPoint Foundation awarded $5 million grant to develop national partnership with Boys & Girls Clubs of America to fight childhood obesity.
The David Tepper Charitable Foundation giving $3 million to Feeding America.
- January 19, 2011Boston College Law School will establish the Francis X. Bellotti Loan Repayment and Forgiveness Program through $2 million in gifts from Arbella Insurance Group Charitable Foundation and $1 million from associates of Arbella Insurance Group and Frank Bellotti, Arabella founder and vice chairman and former Massachusetts attorney general.
Microsoft's employee giving campaign posted best year ever in 2010, raising over $96 million, up 9.2 percent from 2009, for more than 16,000 community organizations.
John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation giving grants totaling $350,000 to $1 million each to 11 organizations in six countries that are receiving MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions.
- January 12, 2011Harris Teeter donated over $6.6 million to nonprofits in fiscal 2010, plus 3.9 million pounds of food to Feeding America partner agencies.
Dillard's giving over $1.7 million to local chapters of Ronald McDonald House Charities as result of sale of its Southern Living Ultimate Christmas Cookbook.
NASCAR Foundation contributed over $3.3 million to nonprofits throughout U.S. and engaged over 250,000 fans in support of children's charities through U.S.
Conrad N. Hilton Foundation giving $2.5 million to City of Hope to establish Barron Hilton Chair in Pediatrics.
- January 3, 2011Houston Endowment awarded $5 million to University of Houston, which will use funds to help increase number of doctoral students it graduates annually.
The Coca-Cola Foundation, philanthropic arm of The Coca-Cola Company, awarded grants totaling $4 million to 38 organizations across the U.S. and Canada in fourth quarter 2010.
CVS Caremark Charitable Trust donated total of $3.3 million to 72 nonprofits across U.S.