Posting your nonprofit job with the Philanthropy Journal is an easy, cost-effective way to fill your current job vacancies.
Find a Job
Choose from the menus below and click submit to display a listing of all available jobs matching your criteria.
MDC, a nonprofit in Durham, N.C., focused on expanding opportunity, reducing poverty, and promoting equity, particularly in the South, seeks an operations manager with strong property management skills, marketing and event planning skills, and information technology skills. The operations manager will provide critical support in several key areas, including setting and achieving annual and strategic operational goals, and is directly responsible for security protocols, emergency procedures, vendor management, office procurement, office equipment and building maintenance, tenant leasing and convening space rentals, internal event management and technology and IT support.
The operations manager will devote substantial time providing office support to MDC’s staff and tenants; providing AV and event planning support to external clients renting MDC’s convening space(s) and serving as point of contact for vendor relationships. This person also will serve as the liaison to MDC’s external IT consultant providing IT troubleshooting in between visits from the IT consultant.
In addition, this position may support other MDC initiatives as tasks arise.
Primary Responsibilities and Expectations
• Building Manager: The operations manager, in concert with the Finance team, will help develop and manage budgets for MDC operations, including facilities, supplies and IT. The operations manager will provide general administrative support in areas of office supplies, use and knowledge of office equipment and AV technology, and share in the responsibility of answering calls coming into the MDC main line and MDC’s visitor call box.
• Leased Office Space and Event Space Rental: MDC has annual goals for income earned through office and facilities rental. In concert with the Communications team, the operations manager will develop multimedia marketing strategies to support facility lease and rentals and, with the support of the Finance team, will help develop market pricing for rental rates. He/she will develop and maintain relationships with area hotels and others that refer clients to MDC and will work to maintain awareness of MDC’s strategic position in the event space rental business. The operations manager will also manage tenant and vendor relationships.
• Event Planning: The operations manager will be involved in all stages of rentals of MDC’s convening space(s). This includes preparation of rental contracts, ensuring payments are received and serving as point of contact with rental customers and external vendors (caterers, parking options). Overall, the operations manager will help ensure that all logistical matters with clients are satisfied.
• Information Technology: The operations manager is the point person within the organization to troubleshoot IT issues and to coordinate ongoing service and upgrades with MDC’s IT consultant. He or she will also ensure systems are in place, with sufficient knowledge of these systems, to support webinars, teleconferences, and videoconferencing that are used on a day-to-day basis by program staff and rental clients.
• Working with MDC staff: The operations manager will provide new-hire orientations and staff training as
necessary, including the issuance of MDC’s staff handbook, training on telephone systems, office
equipment, computers, and emergency/security procedures.
This position will be based at MDC’s office in Durham, N.C. The Operations Manager typically has a relevant
postsecondary credential and at least 5-10 years of progressively challenging experience in facility management,
event management, general operations, or a related field. The position will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
In addition, candidates must have:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in order to represent the organization with tenants and clients
• Ability to manage multiple assignments, completing assignments on time and within budget.
• Ability to work well under pressure and in rapidly changing circumstances
• Strong IT skills; experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe, and Zoom
• Experience with event planning and overall property management,
• Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to work in a team environment, as well as independently
• An understanding of and commitment to MDC’s mission of expanding opportunity, reducing poverty and
promoting equity particularly in the South
• Media relations and/or content partnership development
MDC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and equity, it
is our policy to provide an equal employment opportunity to all individuals without regard to age, color, race,
religion, national origin, disability, military/veteran status, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, or
status in any other group, protected by federal or local law or for any other reason. We encourage applications
from people of color, women, the LGBTQ+ community, and members of underrepresented groups. Reasonable
accommodations are available on request. For more info about MDC, go to www.mdcinc.org and
www.stateofthesouth.org. To apply, send cover letter and résumé, packaged in one PDF file, to
firstname.lastname@example.org by March 17, 2017. Please include “Operations Manager” in the subject line.